|“||Half Vampire... Half Lycan... but stronger than both!||”|
—Singe theorizing about the first Hybrid
To become a Hybrid, one needs to have the Corvinus gene and be part of the Corvinus bloodline. Marcus Corvinus, William Corvinus, Michael Corvin, and Eve are all direct blood descendants of Alexander Corvinus, and are, thus, able to become Hybrids. Lucian and Sonja, despite not being a part of the Corvinus bloodline, might have had a Hybrid child that would have been a neutral hybrid, an entirely-new immortal species that never existed before, however, Sonja was slain at the hands of her own father.
Also, technically, all Vampires and Lycans already carry the Corvinus Strain, mutated with the animals DNA, and the assimilation of the "pure" Corvinus Strain simply strengthens/evolves their own existing Strain (their physical abilities are amplified and their weakness eliminated).
Types of Hybrids
|“||Michael, you are unique. There's never been a Hybrid before. However ambivalent you might feel about it, the truth is: Your powers could be limitless.||”|
—Selene about Michael's abilities.
A Hybrid with a Lycan dominant side resembles more a Lycan in appearance. The eyes are completely black, the faces are only slightly elongated, the rib cages are slightly extended, have little to no fur and dark blueish skin. This type of Hybrid have the claws, teeth as well the animalistic posture of a Lycan. They also possess the Lycan's signature roar. Michael Corvin is the first and only known Lycan-Vampire Hybrid. This variation is completely immune to silver and sunlight. This type of Hybrid must also feed on blood, like an ordinary Vampire, becoming ill if they consume solid food. Like all Hybrids, the limits of this type are not fully known.
|“||Oh, not Lycans, father... or Vampires. A new race, created on the image of their new maker. Their new God. Me.||”|
— Marcus Corvinus about his newfound powers.
A Hybrid who was a Vampire first, on the other hand, has more physical attributes portraying its chiropteran "ancestry". While it shares the Lycan's black eyes, claws and musculature, a Vampire-dominant Hybrid has noticeably bat-like ears flattened into its head, a bat-like nose, no hair at all, blueish skin and taloned, retractable wings. Like Vampires it also needs to feed on blood. Marcus Corvinus is the first and only known Vampire-Lycan Hybrid. However, as Marcus is also the original Vampire and the strongest of his kind, it can be speculated that not all Vampire-dominantHybrids would have abilities as potent as those of Marcus.
|“||A miracle, father! A union of the bloodlines.||”|
Someone naturally born from a Vampire and Lycan union may display yet a different set of characteristics. Viktor's daughter, Sonja, a Vampire, fell in love with Lucian, a Lycan, and became pregnant with his child. This type of Hybrid is implied in scenes discussing the pregnancy of Sonja by Lucian and Sonja amongst themselves. And represented by Eve daughter of Michael Corvin and Selene.
Powers & Abilities
As emphasized by Singe, Hybrids possess the combined abilities of both or more of their parent species, making them more powerful than either.
- Superhuman Strength: Even newly-sired Hybrids possess strength equal to or slightly above that of a transformed Lycan/Werewolf and even a Vampire Elder. Michael was able to fight Viktor immediately after becoming a Hybrid, and before his first feeding. He can also bend steel with his grip and kills the oldest of all Werewolves by tearing the top-half of his head off shortly after reviving from death. Eve tosses a cabinet high into the air, shattering it; rips apart a lower Lycan and fights Jacob Lane, an enhanced Lycan, on equal terms, and kills him by ripping out his throat mere minutes after coming off a powerful anesthetic. Marcus, a Hybrid, is able to raise the entrance to his brother's prison (an enormous stone door) without using the key, pull on a rope hard enough to bring a helicopter crashing down from the air, and fight hand-to-hand with Selene, and enhanced Vampire whose strength surpasses that of a Vampire Elder. The true upper limits of the strength of Hybrids is unknown, but if they have a limit it is certainly very high.
- Superhuman Speed: Even having just turned, a Hybrid's speed surpasses that of both a vampire and a lycan, with their movements being the fastest of any immortal species. Hybrids are able to move from one place to another faster than the eye can see with extreme ease.
- Superhuman Endurance: Hybrids can easily sustain gunshots, being stabbed and endure high falls. They can also withstand strikes, blows and other wounds by other superhumanly strong beings, and still be able to fight back. Hybrids can also hold their breath for several minutes and remain calm through stressful or painful situations.
- Superhuman Agility: Hybrids have a higher level of agility than both Lycans and Vampires alike. They can go from one motion to another effortlessly, effectively dodge attacks, swing from things easily, sprint, do back-flips and numerous other gymnastic, athletic and martial implements with little effort.
- Superhuman Healing: Their regenerative abilities are much more powerful than normal Vampires and Lycans, allowing them to quickly heal from wounds and giving them total invulnerability to the common allergies of silver and ultraviolet light. As displayed by Michael, Hybrids even have the capacity to heal from death, given their bodies are still intact. However, this advanced healing factor is useless in cases of dismemberment.
- Superhuman Senses: Hybrids senses of sight, hearing, touch, and smell are glaring obviously and super/unnaturally acuter than other species. They can see clearly from far away, see the faintest distinctions/track things too fast for the natural eye, hear through dense walls perfectly and even smell anything over vast distances. Some can detect danger and/or sense others' presence.
- Hybrid Transformations: Hybrids, much like Lycans have the ability to transform themselves into a more powerful and deadly creature. The transformations are triggered at will and are almost instantaneous, seemingly not requiring the Hybrid to learn how to control it. The Hybrid's form vary drastically from Hybrid to Hybrid, usually resembling more their dominant species and the types of strains present on their blood (Vampire or Lycan).
- Immunity to UV Light and Silver: Vampire/Lycan Hybrids are completely immune to both ultraviolet light and silver in any form.
- Razor-sharp Claws: Hybrids with Lycan traits have retractable nails that grow at will from the tip of their fingers, mostly used for offensive purposes. With their extremely-sharp claws, they are able to rip through weaker foes, crawl walls and even cut through solid structures.
- Resurrection: As a Vampire-Corvinus Strain Hybrid, Selene displayed the ability to resurrect the deceased David as a Vampire-Corvinus Strain Hybrid by applying her blood directly to his heart.
- Sensory Synchronization: Eve is able to perceive images and hear sounds from the perspective of either one of her parents. It is explained that when she is within proximity to either her mother or her father, their brainwaves fall into sync with each other and she sees what they see, and they see what she sees, similar to a wireless network connection. This ability is apparently a random phenomenon rather than a controlled event. It's unknown if this power is exclusive to Eve, or if any pure born Vampire/Lycan Hybrid would have this ability.
- Flight: Marcus Corvinus was able to fly in his Hybrid form, thanks to his bat-like wings that could be deployed and retracted from his back. This ability, however, is speculated to be exclusive only to Marcus as his status as the First Vampire and a Hybrid.
- Immortality: All hybrids are immune to aging and disease and their lives will last thousands of years.
- In Underworld: Evolution, Marcus intended to make his twin brother William into a Werewolf-Vampire Hybrid in the hopes of possibly restoring some of his humanity. However, he never had the chance to before being killed by Selene.
- From Singe's experiment with Michael Corvin's blood for Lycan-Vampire hybridization, he describes the resultant blood specimen as triple-cell platelets and super blood.
- Eve makes a sound that is similar to a Lycan's roar, with the shriek of a Vampire as an overtone.
- In Underworld, Lucian intended to turn himself into a Hybrid by injecting himself with both Michael's blood and the Vampire Elder Amelia's blood, in order to gain the upper-hand in the war and end the fighting but was killed before he could so. This suggests that he believed it might be possible for a Lycan was not descended from Alexander Corvinus to become a vampire hybrid using the blood of someone who is descended from Corvinus.
- Most Vampires regard Hybrids with Lycan blood as "abominations" - Viktor, in particular, took drastic actions to ensure such a Hybrid never came into existence. Quite the opposite, Vampires who are Corvinus Strain Hybrids are seen as the purest of their kind and are held in high regard among the Vampires as seen with Selene, David and Lena, three Vampire-Corvinus Strain Hybrids, who are named Vampire Elders.
- Eve is much more of a blend between the Vampires and Lycans than her father despite being genetically more vampire.
- Through her father, Eve is a member of the Corvinus Clan by blood, and a direct descendant of Alexander Corvinus, the first Immortal. Furthermore, she inherited the active Corvinus Strain from her mother, who received it directly from Alexander Corvinus, which strengthens her Corvinus heritage.
- It is unknown what would happen to Alexander Corvinus if he was bitten by a vampire or a Lycan. While Marcus and William were also immortals and yet became a vampire and a werewolf respectively, Alexander is the first immortal. So it is impossible to guess if he would have become a new kind of hybrid.
- Lycan dominant hybrids are probably stronger than their Vampire dominant hybrid counterparts due to the fact that Lycans are stronger in their Werewolf forms than Vampires of their generation.
For a complete list of images of Hybrid, please visit the Hybrid images category.
|Selene - Eve - David - Jacob Lane - Quint Lane|
|Thomas - Lida - Alan - Michael Corvin - Detective Sebastian - Olivia - Edward Vronski - Officer Kolb - Corvinus Clan|
|Vampire - Lycan - Hybrid - Immortal - Human|
|Weaponry of Underworld: Awakening - Swords - Sleeping Gas - Silver Nitrate Bomb - Beretta 92FS - Whips - Shurikens - Silver - Silver Bullets|
|Antigen Headquarters - Thomas's Coven - Cryogenic Chamber - Army Surplus Store - Pier 9 - Abandoned Building|
|Corvinus Strain - Death Dealer - Vampire Elder - Blood Memories - The Purges - Antigen - Infected Persons Unit - Vampire-Lycan War|
|Music - Quotes - Images - Soundtrack - Score|
|Selene - David - Marius - Thomas - Semira - Lena|
|Varga - Cassius - Michael Corvin - Vidar - Hajna - Istvan - Alexia - Gregor - Eve - Amelia|
|Vampire - Lycan - Hybrid - Immortal - Human|
|Weaponry of Underworld: Blood Wars - Swords - Beretta 92FS - Scorpion EVO 3 - Nightshade|
|Nordic Coven - Eastern Coven|
|Var Dohr Cocooning Ritual - Corvinus Strain - Death Dealer - Vampire Elder - Vampire-Lycan War - Marius's Army|
|Music - Comic - Quotes - Images - Score|
|Selene - Michael Corvin - Krandrill - Darius - Vregis - Kraven - Lord Clovis - Krandrill's Harem|
|Vampire - Lycan - Hybrid|
|Swords - Silver Nitrate Spray - Silver|
|Paris Mansion - Tati Hotel - Belfry|
|Death Dealer - Crimson Moon Ceremony - Vampire-Lycan War|
|Quotes - Images|
|Vampire missions - Lycan missions|
|Characters and Species|
|Selene - Erika - Raze - Kahn - Lucian - Vampire - Lycan - Hybrid|
|Death Dealer - Vampire Elder - Vampire-Lycan War|
|Images - Videos|
|Selene - David - Semira - Quint - Gregor - Detective Sebastian - Marius|
|Eve - Thomas - Jacob Lane - Olivia - Varga - Istvan - Hajna - Cassius - Dr. Lida - Edward Vronski - Nurse Sebastian - Lena - Vidar - Alexia|
|Vampire - Lycan - Human - Hybrid|
|Images - Videos|